What is there to do at CombatCon™?
If you’ve never been to CombatCon™ before, you may be a little uncertain about what to expect. Our event is unlike any other convention in the world, and it’s hard to describe succinctly. Therefore, we offer the following pictures and information to help you better understand what we’re all about.
At CombatCon™, you can choose from over 200 martial arts, stage and stunt combat, personal protection, and tactical combat classes in which to participate. Classes include things like:
- Rapier and Dagger
- Italian Longsword
- Cane self-defense
- Bare Knuckle Pugilism
- Pirate Boarding Actions and Maritime Combat
- Bowie Knife and Tomahawk Fighting
- Shield and Spear
- Tactical Firearms and Squad Movements
- Knife Throwing
- How to Fight on Film
- Combat Grappling
- Cruel and Unusual Weapons (as seen in the picture at the top of the page!)
- And so much more!
Classes are offered for people of all skill levels, from complete beginner to highly experienced. Our corps of instructors come from all over the United States and internationally, and are the best in the world at what they do. You will leave CombatCon™ tired, probably a little sore, and completely stuffed full of knowledge that you didn’t have three days earlier.
CombatCon™ is on pace to be the single largest HEMA (Historic European Martial Arts) tournament event in the world. We offer the opportunity to participate in all manner of tournaments, including:
- Open Steel Longsword
- Women’s Longsword
- South Coast Swords Synthetic Longsword
- Sword and Buckler
- CombatCon™ Instructor Invitational
- TSL Saber Tri-Tournament
Our Tournament Room this year is 9,800 square feet of pure, adrenalized awesome, which is a 600% increase over last year’s space! We will feature multiple rings, a staging area for fighters, and plenty of room for the audience.
The CombatCon™ Expo Hall is the hub of our event. Here you will find:
- Vendors selling all manner of goods and services, from hand crafted weapons (such as swords, knives, and whips) to jewelry and cool Steampunk gear.
- The Demonstration Ring, where instructors and guests demonstrate everything from electric Shocknife to Aztec Macuahuitl to Longsword to Tomahawk and Bowie Knife. CombatCon™ is also extremely pleased to welcome back the Armored Combat League, who demonstrate fully armored combat.
- Our Gaming Area, where you can participate in tabletop gaming.
- The Steampunk Lounge, where convention attendees can kick back and relax among the dazzling displays of Steampunk Victorian England… Formed by a conglomeration of mystics, mechanics, and ministers, the Ministry of Steam declared independence from the slovenly crowns to set up a haven for those interested in exploring the full capabilities of industry and alchemy. Dock at the ports, get your papers in order, visit the currency office, and explore the many offerings of our islands. Wander Mystics Alley or play games of chance and skill in the Asian Quarter. Just be careful where you tread, experiments rarely stay contained.
- The Free-Fencing Ring, where you can practice your art, and hone your skills.
- Experience the Knight Life!! Join Davenriche European Martial Artes School from Santa Clara, CA at the Knight’s Ring. Try out sword fighting and try on some armour. See what the movies and video games got wrong and right. Remember, what happens in the Knight Life of Vegas … should be tweeted and FaceBooked right away!
Panels and Presentations
Our programming goes well beyond physical classes. We also offer a multitude of panels, presentations, and academic classes covering all aspects of combat in popular culture. Some of the topics include:
- What it takes to work in the stunt industry in Hollywood
- How to write a believable fight
- Mastery of Horse and Steel: Fighting from Horseback
- Designing costumes for warriors
- Bartitsu: The long lost art of Sherlock Holmes himself
- Sword and knife making
- The future of HEMA
- Women in Combat: Women martial artists and stunt professionals
This year we are very excited to offer a dedicated Writers Track! This track will include both academic and hands-on classes.
After Hours Fun!
The fun keeps going long after the Expo Hall closes and classes wrap up. Some of our exciting after hours activities include:
- Our fabulous Time Traveler’s Ball, where costumes and fancy dress are optional but encouraged
- The Live Action Fight Scene Competition, where you can demonstrate your stage and stunt combat skills in front of our Hollywood experts
- The Costume Contest, where you can strut your finest historical outfit or modern cosplay