What is there to do at CombatCon™?
If you’ve never been to CombatCon™ before, you may be a little uncertain about what to expect. Our event is unlike any other convention in the world, and it’s hard to describe succinctly. Therefore, we offer the following pictures and information to help you better understand what we’re all about.
At CombatCon™, you can choose from over 200 martial arts, stage and stunt combat, personal protection, and tactical combat classes in which to participate. Classes include things like:
- Rapier and Dagger
- Italian Longsword
- Cane self-defense
- Bare Knuckle Pugilism
- Pirate Boarding Actions and Maritime Combat
- Bowie Knife and Tomahawk Fighting
- Shield and Spear
- Tactical Firearms and Squad Movements
- Knife Throwing
- How to Fight on Film
- Combat Grappling
- Cruel and Unusual Weapons (as seen in the picture at the top of the page!)
- And so much more!
Classes are offered for people of all skill levels, from complete beginner to highly experienced. Our corps of instructors come from all over the United States and internationally, and are the best in the world at what they do. You will leave CombatCon™ tired, probably a little sore, and completely stuffed full of knowledge that you didn’t have three days earlier.
CombatCon™ is one of the largest HEMA (Historic European Martial Arts) tournament events in the world. We offer the opportunity to participate in all manner of tournaments, including:
- Open Steel Longsword
- Women’s Longsword
- Synthetic Longsword
- SGT Blades Sword and Buckler
- Advanced Cutting
- Beginner’s Cutting
- CombatCon™ Invitational Sabre*
Our Tournament Room will feature multiple rings, a staging area for fighters, and plenty of room for the audience.
Free Fencing and Coached Sparring
CombatCon is pleased to provide dedicated space for free fencing, and this year we are excited to bring you the Phoenix Society Coached Sparring sessions!
The CombatCon™ Experience will be located on the convention center lower level, at the bottom of the escalators off the main promenade. As you stroll through this free, open-access, all-ages hall of wonders you will find:
- Vendors selling all manner of goods and services, from hand crafted weapons (such as swords, knives, and whips) to jewelry and cool Steampunk gear.
- The Demonstration Ring, where instructors and guests demonstrate everything from electric Shocknife to Aztec Macuahuitl to Longsword to Tomahawk and Bowie Knife.
- A multitude of Interactive Thematic Activities hosted (with accompanying decor) by various combat-enthused groups, giving you the chance to:
– handle historical replicas of swords and try on armor that would have been worn by actual knights of a bygone age
– listen to music and try your hand at a game of jugger in the Wasteland Weekend area
– take part in a Highlander Game in the LARP area
– swing a lightsaber with the 501st
– more still to come!!
- Experience the Knight Life!! Join Davenriche European Martial Artes School from Santa Clara, CA. Try out sword fighting and try on some armour. See what the movies and video games got wrong and right. Remember, what happens in the Knight Life of Vegas … should be tweeted and FaceBooked right away!
Panels and Presentations
Our programming goes well beyond physical classes. We also offer a multitude of panels, presentations, and academic classes covering all aspects of combat in popular culture. Some of the topics include:
- What it takes to work in the stunt industry in Hollywood
- How to write a believable fight
- Mastery of Horse and Steel: Fighting from Horseback
- Designing costumes for warriors
- Bartitsu: The long lost art of Sherlock Holmes himself
- Sword and knife making
- The future of HEMA
- Women in Combat: Women martial artists and stunt professionals
This year we are very excited to offer a dedicated Writers Track! This track will include both academic and hands-on classes.
After Hours Fun!
The fun keeps going long after the Expo Hall closes and classes wrap up. Some of our exciting after hours activities include: